Welcome to Cake Basics: Cake Structures, our video all about making your very own cake structures using a variety of materials. Getting a cake structure right can be one of the most challenging tasks for a cake decorator starting out learning sculpted cakes, and in this tutorial, I break down all the pros and cons of 3 different types of cake structures, how to scale a reference picture to make a structure that supports any design, and why you would chose one structure over another.
I cover all the materials you will need for each structure and my thought process when problem-solving a structure to fit each unique project.
There’s a lot to cover in this tutorial, so let’s get our tools together and let’s get started!
1:26:14 Minutes of Instruction
- Learn how to create 3 different types of cake structures
- How to scale and plan out a cake structure based on a reference photo
- Learn how the materials and tools needed for each type of cake structure
- Several tips and tricks to plan out and make whatever structure you might need for your specific project
- PVC Structure
- Tools & Materials
- Setting the Scale
- Cutting PVC & Adjusting
- Threaded Rod Structure
- Materials & tools
- Measuring & scaling
- Cutting threaded rod
- Multi-Material Structure
- Planning & scaling
- Cutting threaded rod & wood
- Structure assembly
- Making armature arms